Home

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kaunas (Lithuania), Laisvės Alėja, in the 1930s

A picture of my grandfather, Hirsch-Meir Rachowitz, with my uncle, Nathan Rachowitz, strolling along the main street -- Laisvės Alėja (literary Liberty Avenue) -- in Kaunas, with St. Michael the Archangel's Church or the Garrison Church (Lithuanian: Kauno Šv. arkangelo Mykolo Įgulos bažnyčia/dar žinoma kaip Kauno soboras) in the background. By the way, my grandfather is holding a fashionable walking stick in his right hand (walking sticks were a part of fashion; carrying the finest walking stick was a must for gentlemen). Also, my grandfather used to carry a gold pocket watch -- the Tavannes watch -- with hunter case and watch chain (please see images below)

Description: My grandfather's Tavannes gold pocket watch

No comments:

Post a Comment