If I am not mistaken, Zerach's father Shlomo (Shloime) Orelowitz served as staff member of the Yiddish Volksbank (Jewish People's Bank)1 in Rokiškis---please see picture below, Shlomo sitting first right (photo dated 1929?).
In pre-war Lithuania, many members of the Jewish middle class, especially the educated strata who had already experienced the establishing of Jewish autonomy to some extent, mobilized their resources in order to strengthen the social economic basis of the Jewish masses and their livelihood. With the blessing and initiation of the Economics Committee at the Ministry for Jewish Affairs and with the assistance of the “Foundation,” a national financial system of co-operative credit societies was established. By the end of 1920, these were already active in 44 cities and towns and were named “People's Bank”. In addition to making positive impact on local economic activity (extending loans, etc), they were also of importance in the social and cultural sphere. In a number of places, the community bodies and other organizations also used the bank building. There were also cases of the bank granting study scholarships and prizes for cultural activities. In order to co-ordinate and regulate the activities of the People's Banks in time of need and crises, a central institution was established in 1921, [in Kaunas -- D.R.], formally called the “Central Jewish Bank for the Encouragement of Co-operation.”[---please see picture below] 71 People's Banks throughout the country were linked to it, and the number of (dues paying) members reached 11,000. Over the years, the capital assets of the institutions increased, as did the amount of deposits and savings. Thanks to that, the conditions for granting loans to members and public institutions were loosened. In 1930, 85 People's Banks existed in Lithuania with 22,262 members. In that year, 11,953 loans were granted to them and to others in a total amount of 10,249,159 Lit (approximately one million Dollars). Although the People's Bank was open to non-Jews as well, the share of gentiles was no more than 5%. Work in the offices, correspondence and daily routine was conducted in Yiddish, and this was also true of the national conventions and conferences which took place every few years. This was, therefore, a Jewish banking system spread throughout the cities and towns of Lithuania. At the time, the total deposits amounted to 14,113,413 Lit (approximately $1.4 million), of which 46% came from members, 16% from institutions and [the rest] from non-members. Taking into consideration members' families and all others who required the People's Banks' services, and that of its associates, we can conclude that they served about two thirds of the Jewish population. Unlike similar Lithuanian banks, that enjoyed cheap governmental credit, the People's Banks had to depend on deposits only. In 1933, a special bank was established to assist Jewish farmers (Yiddisher Landwirten Bank)---please see en.15min.lt - news portal: "Lithuanian bank architecture: Symbols of wealth, power, and crisis."